This is a great shepherd’s pie recipe that tastes just like the original but is lighter and healthier (5 points per serving). The seasoned meat and vegetables are nestled under the creamy mashed potatoes and then baked to form a sensational, savory pie. Enjoy!
Weight Watchers Shepherd’s Pie recipe
2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
1 lb uncooked ground turkey breast
1 tablespoon reduced-calorie margarine
1/4 cup nonfat sour cream
2 teaspoons olive oil
1?8 teaspoon table salt
2 medium carrots (diced)
1 cup onion (chopped)
2 medium celery ribs, diced
2 cups canned chicken broth or 2 cups beef broth
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried rosemary, chopped
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and pour in enough water to cover them.
3. Set the pan over high heat and bring to a boil; reduce the heat to medium and simmer for about 10 minutes (until the potatoes are fork-tender).
4. Drain the potatoes, transfer them to a large bowl and add the margarine and sour cream.
5. Mash the potatoes until smooth, season with salt to taste and set aside.
6. Meanwhile, in a large skillet heat the oil over medium-high heat.
7. Add the carrots, onion and celery; cook for about 3 minutes (until soft).
8. Add the turkey and cook for about 5 minutes (until browned), breaking up the meat as it cooks.
9. Add the thyme, rosemary, flour, salt and pepper; stir to coat.
10. Add the broth and bring to a simmer; simmer for about 3 minutes (until the mixture starts to thicken).
11. Transfer the turkey mixture to a 9-inch, deep-dish pie plate. Spread the mashed potatoes over the top and make decorative swirls using the back of a spoon.
12. Bake for about 30 minutes, until the potatoes are golden.
13. Slice into 6 pieces and serve.
Nutritional information for one serving:
WW points: 5
WW points plus: 7
Total fat: 4.4 g
Cholesterol: 50.3 mg
Sodium: 856.2 mg
Total carbs: 31.7 g
Dietary fiber: 4.1 g
Protein: 26.3 g