Crisp, not-too-sweet cookies with a rich addictive sesame flavor. This recipe makes 20 little Italian sesame seed cookies.
PREP TIME 15 MINS
COOK TIME 30 MINS
TOTAL TIME 45 MINS
Servings (adjustable): 20
- 1/4 cup white, hulled sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup mild extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Position an oven rack in the center and preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- On an ungreased cookie sheet, toast the sesame seeds for about 10 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove cookie sheet from the oven and immediately transfer the sesame seeds to a small plate.
- In a large bowl mix the flours, sugar, baking powder and salt together and then sift to make sure that everything is well blended.
- In another bowl, beat the egg and then add the olive oil and vanilla and beat until well blended.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir and then knead by hand to make a smooth dough. (It will be slightly crumbly, but will hold together.)
- Pinch of pieces of dough that are about a tablespoon in volume, and then roll them between your hands into fat little logs that are about 1-1/2 inches long and 3/4-inch thick.
- Roll each log in the sesame seeds, tamping the ends in the seeds to finish them.
- Lay the cookie logs on the prepared baking sheet about inch apart.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 30 minutes, until golden.
- Remove from the oven and place the baking sheet on a rack to cool.
- These cookies will keep well in a tightly closed tin.
This recipe can be easily doubled. Weight Watchers PointsPlus: *2
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints: *3
Nutrition FactsItalian Sesame Seed Cookies RecipeAmount Per Serving (1 cookie) Calories 73Calories from Fat 36%
Daily Value*Fat 4g6%
Carbohydrates 8g3%Fiber 1g4%
Protein 1g2%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.