A copycat recipe to die for! So similar to the high carb and sugar loaded original, it will blow your mind.
Ingredients For the sponge layers:
- 2 eggs
- 70g erythritol
- ¾ tsp pure stevia powder
- 20g cold-pressed, high-oleic sunflower oil
- pinch of fine Himalayan pink salt
- 5g tapioca flour
- 15g unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 10g fine coconut flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
For the filling:
- 50g whipping cream
- 5g gelatine powder
- 100g mascarpone
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 25g icing ‘sugar’
To make the sponge layers:
- pre-heat oven to 190°C static.
- sift and mix dry ingredients (bar sweeteners) and set aside.
- using an electric hand-held whisk, beat eggs until foamy and doubled in volume; add sweeteners and whip again until pale, creamy and fluffy.
- using a spatula or spoon, incorporate oil, then dry ingredients – the mixture will deflate and return to liquid.
- line a 17cm x 27cm tray with non-stick parchment paper, using a little smear of butter around the sides to ‘glue’ the paper to the tray and prevent it from curling inwards during baking.
- pour cocoa mixture into the lined tray, ensuring it is evenly spread edge to edge.
- bake for 9 minutes, then remove tray from oven immediately and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- lay out a tea-towel and place a fresh sheet of parchment paper over one side, then flip sponge over it.
- peel away old paper sheet – keeping it almost parallel to the sponge will make it come away cleanly.
- cover the sponge first with cling film and then with the loose half of the tea towel – this technique is to trap moisture so the sponge doesn’t dry up.
- leave to cool completely while you prepare the filling.
To make the filling:
- add whipping cream to a small microwave-safe bowl and sprinkle gelatine powder over it; stir and leave to bloom for a couple of minutes, then blast at 600W for 30 seconds; stir until gelatine has completely dissolved and there are no visible lumps; set aside to cool down.
- in a separate bowl, mix mascarpone, icing ‘sugar’ and vanilla extract until soft and creamy, then add the cream/gelatine mixture and stir energetically with a fork.
- when the mixture looks like a homogenous ricotta-like mess, it is ready to use.
To assemble and complete:
- uncover cocoa sponge and discard cling film.
- turn the sponge so the long side runs left to right; cut vertically across the centre.
- separate the two halves and spread the creamy filling over one half, using a flexible spatula to achieve a levelled layer, all the way to the edges.
- flip the other half of sponge over and press to seal the filling.
- smooth the edges with a small spatula or knife tip, wrap carefully and chill for at least 4 hours (best overnight).
- once set, remove wrapping and slice once horizontally and twice vertically, to obtain 6 slices in total.
- keep chilled and in a lidded container, or on a serving plate/board covered with cling film.
- Yield: 6 slices
- Serving: 1 slice
- Calories: 178
- Fat: 17g
- Net Carbs: 1.8g
- Protein: 4g
Recipe type: DessertsCuisine: Ketogenic. Low Carb. Sugar Free. Grain Free. Gluten Free.Prep time: 30 minsCook time: 9 minsTotal time: 39 mins