This tasty keto tuna melt is the ultimate comfort food. In this easy recipe, the tuna melt is made with microwave 90-second bread.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time30 mins
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: American Keyword: cheese, tuna
Servings: 2 servings
- 1 (5 oz) can tuna packed in water, drained (4 oz drained)
- 2 tablespoons minced celery
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (28 grams or 1 ounce), divided (if using salted, omit the salt)
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour (14 grams or 1/2 ounce), divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided (or just a pinch of fine salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, divided (gluten free if needed)
- Olive oil spray for toasting the breads
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
Make the tuna salad:
- In a small mixing bowl break up the tuna with a fork. Mix in the celery. Add the mayonnaise, mustard, black pepper, dried parsley, onion powder and garlic powder. Stir to combine. Set aside.
Make the breads:
- In a small microwave-safe bowl (mine measures 3 inches on the bottom and 3.5 inches at the top), melt 1 tablespoon unsalted butter in the microwave.
- Allow the melted butter to slightly cool, then mix in 1 egg and 1 tablespoon coconut flour. Mix thoroughly, until very smooth. Mix in the kosher salt and baking powder.
- Microwave the mixture on high for 90 seconds. Be careful when removing the bowl from the microwave. It will be hot.
- Allow the bread to cool for a minute or so. Gently, with a paring knife, loosen the bread edges and remove from the bowl onto a plate. Slice the bread crosswise into two slices.
- Repeat steps 1-4 to make a second bread.
- To toast the bread slices, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-low (not higher) heat. Spray it with olive oil. Add the four bread slices. Cook, gently pressing on them with a spatula to ensure even toasting, until golden, about 3 minutes per side.
Assemble and broil the tuna melts:
- Preheat the broiler on high (450 degrees F) and set the rack 4 inches from the heat source.
- Place the four slices of toasted 90-second bread on a broiler-safe pan (I use a stainless steel skillet). Divide the tuna salad equally between the four slices. Top each slice with a quarter of the shredded cheese.
- Place the pan under the broiler and broil just until the cheese has melted, about 1 minute. Serve immediately.
Coconut flour is extremely absorbent, so it’s best to measure it by weight and not by volume, as even a slight variation could render your bread dry.
Keto Tuna Melt
Amount Per Serving (2 tuna melts)
Calories 482 Calories from Fat 351%
Daily Value*Total Fat 39g 60%Saturated Fat 18g 90%
Sodium 942mg 39%
Total Carbohydrates 6g2%Dietary Fiber 3g 12%Sugars 8g
Protein 26g52%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.