For the Crust:
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 packet (2 1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3/4 cup warm water (110°F)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
For the Filling:
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 lb Italian sausage or your choice of toppings (e.g., bell peppers, onions, mushrooms)
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Olive oil (for brushing)
1. Prepare the Dough:
- In a mixing bowl, combine warm water, sugar, and yeast. Let it sit for about 5-10 minutes until it becomes frothy.
- Add the flour, cornmeal, vegetable oil, and salt to the yeast mixture. Mix until a dough forms.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 5 minutes until it’s smooth.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a damp cloth, and let it rise for 1-2 hours, or until it has doubled in size.
2. Prepare the Filling:
- While the dough is rising, you can prepare the sauce and toppings.
- In a saucepan, heat a bit of olive oil over medium heat. Add minced garlic and sauté for a minute until fragrant.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, oregano, salt, and pepper. Simmer for about 15-20 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- In another pan, cook the Italian sausage or other toppings until they are cooked through. Drain any excess grease.
3. Assemble the Pizza:
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to form a large circle or rectangle, depending on your baking pan.
- Grease a deep-dish pizza pan or a cast-iron skillet and place the dough in it, pressing it up the sides.
- Layer the mozzarella cheese evenly on the bottom of the crust.
- Add the cooked toppings (Italian sausage or your choice of toppings).
- Pour the tomato sauce over the toppings.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbly and slightly browned on top.
- Allow the pizza to cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving. Chicago-style deep-dish pizza is best enjoyed hot and fresh!
Feel free to customize your deep-dish pizza with your favorite toppings and cheeses. Enjoy your homemade Chicago-style deep-dish pizza!