prep time: 15 MINUTES cook time: 20 MINUTES total time: 35 MINUTES
Get ready for Easter with this easy hot cross buns recipe! Certified keto, gluten free and sugar free – this will wow all your guests!
- 2 cups (200g) almond flour
- 1.5 cups (100g) whey isolate – unflavoured
- 1.5 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cup (50g) sugar substitute
- 1 cup (250ml) heavy cream
- 1/4 cup (50g) butter – melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients for the buns.
- Pour in the heavy cream and melted butter. Whisk together.
- Begin pouring in the water while you stir. It will form a thick batter.
- Use wet hands to make 10 smooth dough balls.
- Place the dough balls onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 375°F / 190°C for 10-15 minutes or until the top is a golden brown.
- While the buns bake, whisk together the icing ingredients.
- It should be a thick gel-like consistency.
- Once the buns are out of the oven, let them cool.
- Use a sandwich bag or piping bag to place a cross across the top of the buns.
- Serve and enjoy!
This makes roughly 10 hot cross buns.
Nutritional Information per bun:
- CALS: 295
- FAT: 24.7
- CARBS: 6.8
- FIBRE: 3.4
- NET CARBS: 3.4
- PROTEIN: 14.5
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 296 TOTAL FAT: 24.7g CARBOHYDRATES: 6.8g FIBER: 3.4g PROTEIN: 14.5g