TIME: 20 MINUTES | COOK TIME: 30 MINUTES | TOTAL TIME: 50 MINUTES | SERVINGS: BROWNIES | CALORIES: 175 KCAL
These gluten free and keto peanut butter brownies are ultra fudgy, ridiculously chocolatey and insanely delicious… at just 2g net carbs a pop!
FOR PEANUT BUTTER SWIRLS
- 190 g unsweetened, salted peanut butter softened
- 1/4-1/3 cup xylitol erythritol or xylitol (I do 1/4 cup)*
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- generous pinch kosher salt
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- See recipe video for guidance on the keto brownies!
- Position a rack in the lower third of your oven and preheat to 350°F/180°C. Line with parchment paper the bottom and sides of a 8×8-inch baking pan. Set aside.
- Make the peanut butter layer first by whisking together the ingredients until thick and smooth. Please note that xylitol and allulose will dissolve more readily, while erythritrol granules will remain! Set aside.
- Whip up a batch of our (suuuper fudgy!) keto brownies. Please note that your batter with xylitol and allulose will be thinner than with erythritrol (where you can add an extra egg or a couple tablespoons of almond milk to losen up a bit for cleaner swirls!- see brownie post for more deets).
- Spread half of the brownie batter into prepared pan. Add the peanut butter layer and the remaining brownie batter in dollops (see pictures in post for reference), swirling the two batters together using a knife.
- Bake for 27-35 minutes (I did 30), or until the center is just set and still jiggly. This really does vary (a lot!!) from oven to oven (think convection etc), so give them a check from minute 20 the first time around.
- Allow to cool completely on a rack. Lift brownies using the edges of the parchment paper and cut into desired size (I do 16!). To get extra clean edges (and extra chewy brownies!), place in the freezer for 15 minutes prior to cutting.
- Store in the fridge for 3 days and freeze for up to 3 months (they freeze great!).
*The lower quantities are for more keto-adapted palates, while the larger ones will get you more ‘traditional’ sweetness. Please see section on sweeteners for deets and possible substitutions. Just keep in mind that stevia or pure monk fruit don’t work (at all!) for these!
**If measuring the cocoa with tablespoons rather than grams, be mindful of how you scoop as you can end up with a lot more cocoa powder than needed. Drop the cocoa powder into the tablespoon and level it, rather than scooping it out of the bag with the tablespoon (which can lead to overpacked tablespoons!).
***Must use eggs at room temp. Reason being that if you add cold eggs, you’ll solidify the batter and won’t be able to mix the flours properly.
Please note that we always subtract sugar alcohols from total carbs to calculate net carbs (as is customary). Nutrition Facts(Ultra Fudgy!) Keto Peanut Butter BrowniesAmount Per Serving (1 peanut butter brownie) Calories 175Calories from Fat 144% Daily Value*Fat 16g25% | Saturated Fat 6g30% | Cholesterol 48mg16% | Sodium 151mg6% | Potassium 176mg5% | Carbohydrates 5g2% | Fiber 3g12% | Sugar 1g1% | Protein 6g12% | Vitamin A 250IU5% | Calcium 39mg4% | Iron 1.5mg8%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.