These Two Point Apple Cider Donuts are a perfect fall treat! Take these to your next fall gathering for a guilt-free snack or treat!
PREP TIME 8 minutes |COOK TIME 10 minutes |ADDITIONAL TIME 8 minutes |TOTAL TIME 26 minutes
servings: makes 12 donuts/2 smart points per donuts
- 1 cup apple cider ( I use a 100 % Tree Top Crisp Apple Cider)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour ( I use Gold Medal)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup non fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar substitute ( I use Lakanto Monkfruit Golden Sweetener)
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp Land o’ Lakes light butter made with canola oil, melted or 2 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Cinnamon and Sugar Topping:
- I can’t believe it’s not butter spray
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar substitute or 1/4 cup regular white granulated sugar ( using regular sugar would increase the point value to 3 points per donut)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large saucepan cook apple cider over medium heat. Bring to a boil and allow to boil for 10-15 minutes or until the apple cider is more thicker than before and has been reduced to 1/2 cup.
- Remove from heat and pour apple cider into a mixing bowl. Let the cider cool for 10-15 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Add the non fat plain Greek yogurt, egg, brown sugar substitute, vanilla, and melted butter or 2 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce into the bowl with the cooled apple cider. Whisk until well combined.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. ( DO NOT over mix)
- Spray two (6 cavity) donut pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place batter into a ziplock bag. Seal bag making sure all the air is released. Cut one corner off of the bag to create a piping bag.
- Fill prepared donut pans 1/2 way with batter using the piping bag.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the sugar topping: In a medium bowl mix together the sugar substitute and cinnamon.
- Once they have cooled a bit, spray both sides of donuts with can’t believe it’s not butter spray and then dust both sides of donut with sugar mixture.
- Store leftover donuts in an airtight ziplock bag in the fridge for up to 3 days
- DO NOT over mix-it is critical that you DO NOT over mix the batter once you combine the wet and dry ingredients. The texture of the donuts will be completely off if over mixed.
- If you use 1/4 cup regular sugar for the cinnamon augur topping that will increase the point value to 3 Freestyle Smart Points per donut.
- Not all brown sugar substitutes are zero points. The two I recommend that are Lakanto Golden Monkfruit Sweetener which can be found HERE. The Lakanto Monkfruit has a 1:1 ratio to sugar. Ot you can use Sukrin Gold which can be found at most Whole Food or Sprouts or on Amazon. If you use Sukrin Gold you will want to use the conversion chart on back of the package for the conversion amount that it shows for regular sugar.
- The overall point value is the same whether you use 1 Tbsp light butter or 2 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce