Healthy Extra: 1 HEA- cheese
- 500g 5% fat beef mince
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 whole green chilli, stalk removed (leave seeds in if you like extra hot, I do)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 300g penne pasta
- 150g mozzarella
- 30g grated parmesan
- basil and red chilli to garnish
- Cooking spray or spray oil
- Preheat the oven to 180c. Make up the meatballs by simply rolling the mince into walnut -sized balls. Fry them in a non-stick frying pan (using either low calorie cooking spray or spray oil)on a high heat for 5 minutes.
- To make the sauce, use a hand-blender or a food processor to whizz up the tomatoes, garlic and chilli. Blend until completely smooth and then season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the sauce to a saucepan, bring up to a simmer and then add the meatballs (once you have fried them for 5 minutes)
- Simmer the sauce and meatballs gently for 30 minutes
- While the sauce is simmering, cook the pasta for 12 minutes, drain, and then rinse through with cold water to prevent it getting sticky.
- Once the sauce has cooked for 30 minutes, stir the pasta through and spoon it all into an oven proof dish.
- Tear up the mozzarella and space evenly over the top, and sprinkle over the parmesan. Add some more black pepper on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the cheese is golden brown on top. Serve up with basil torn on top, and chopped red chilli sprinkled over.
Want a nice vegetable side dish with this? I would serve up with courgette fried until slightly golden, rocket, and roasted peppers.