A perfectly keto-friendly version of the British quintessential tea-time treat. Healthy but just as delicious as its famous high-carb counterpart.
- 40g lupin flour
- 55g fine almond flour
- 40g whey protein isolate
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 50g allulose
- a pinch of fine Himalayan pink salt
- 40g unsalted butter (cubed)
- 65g double cream
- 65g water
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- fine coconut flour for dusting
- (optional) a little milk of your choice (or cream+water) for glazing
- mix dry ingredients, then add cubed butter and rub it between your fingers to create fine crumbs.
- stir double cream, water and vanilla extract together, and warm it all up a little (must be lukewarm, not hot).
- create a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour in the liquid; combine using a fork first, then a spoon.
- pre-heat oven to 160°C static.
- wearing food-safe disposable gloves, scoop the dough onto a silicone pastry mat dusted with a little coconut flour.
- fold the dough 2-3 times, adding a sprinkle of coconut flour to your hands and dough as needed to stop it sticking, and shape into a sausage 4-5cm in diameter.
- dip a sharp knife into the coconut flour and cut the sausage dough in half, then each half into 2 sections and each section into half, to obtain 8 equal slices.
- place the sliced dough over a baking tray lined with non-stick parchment paper, or insert into the 60mm cylinders silicone mould I used , without pressing down.
- (optional) brush milk (or cream+water) over the top of each scone.
- bake for 15 minutes, until golden on top.
- remove from oven, cool, slice, and serve with a dollop of keto-friendly jam (see post ˆ) and clotted cream/whipped cream.
Store the scones at room temperature in a sealed container to prevent them from drying out.
- Yield: 8 scones
- Serving: 1 scone
- Calories: 135
- Fat: 10g
- Net Carbs: 1g
- Protein: 10g
Recipe type: Sweet BitesCuisine: Ketogenic. LCHF. Low Carb. Sugar Free. Egg Free. Grain Free. Gluten Free.Prep time: 15 minsCook time: 15 minsTotal time: 30 mins