metric/ cup ounces
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 500 g mince/ground lamb or beef
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 400 g tinned/ canned choped tomatoes (optional)
- 60 ml beef stock
- 3 carrots grated/shredded (optional)
Cauliflower Mash Topping
- 1 small cauliflower cut into pieces
- 55 g butter
- 30 ml double/heavy cream
- salt/ pepper to taste
- 50 g grated/shredded cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion and garlic until cooked, but not browned.
- Add the lamb and stir until it is thoroughly cooked and browned.
- Add the beef stock, tin/can of chopped tomatoes and grated carrots (optional). Mix.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes while making the mashed cauliflower topping. Let the liquid evaporate so the mince thickens.
- Boil the cauliflower until soft, this takes about 8-10 minutes.
- Drain and allow ALL the steam to escape. Too much water left in the saucepan will make a ‘sloppy’ mash.
- Add the butter, salt, pepper and cream. Using a stick blender with a blade attachment, puree until smooth.
- Place the shepherd’s pie mince/ground meat mix in the bottom of a large casserole dish. Top with the cauliflower mash then sprinkle on the cheese.
- Put the casserole dish on a baking try to catch any liquid that may bubble over.
- Bake at 180C/350F for 20 minutes and until the cheese is browned.
Nutrition FactsLow Carb Shepherd’s Pie – with Cauliflower MashAmount Per Serving (1 serve)Calories 475Calories from Fat 342% Daily Value*Fat 38g58%Carbohydrates 12g4%Fiber 3.4g14%Sugar 5g6%Protein 21g42%Vitamin C 37.1mg45%Calcium 150mg15%Iron 2.7mg15%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.