prep time: 30 MINUTES
rising time: 2 HOURS
cook time: 45 MINUTES
total time: 3 HOURS 15 MINUTES
A low carb loaf that looks and tastes like real deal! This vital wheat gluten bread is super easy to make!
- 240g vital wheat gluten
- 280g almond flour (fine)
- 50g inulin
- 2 1/2 tsp instant yeast
- 320ml warm water
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil + extra for kneading
- Add all the dry ingredients except salt to a mixing bowl for a stand mixer.
- Add salt and stir again.
- Pour in the water and olive oil. (If you are using traditional yeast – proof the yeast in this water with a tsp sugar 15 minutes prior to this step.)
- Use the paddle attachment and turn the mixer on to the lowest setting.
- Mix for 5-10 minutes, checking consistency of dough frequently. When the dough is stretchy, has some resistance and doesn’t break – that is when you can stop)
- Oil the counter and your hands and knead the dough for an additional 2-3 minutes until it’s nice and smooth.
- Place in a 9×5 loaf tin and cover with seran/cling wrap and a towel. Let rise for 2 hours.
- Bake at 350°F / 175°C for 45 minutes.
- Let cool, slice and enjoy!
If you’re having issues kneading by hand and it keeps tearing – let the dough sit for 5 minutes and add a tsp of water.
This makes around 25 slices.
Nutritional Information per slice:
- CALS: 120
- FAT: 8
- CARBS: 3.6
- FIBRE: 1.4
- NET CARBS: 2.2
- PROTEIN: 9.6