I’ve been making these banana mug muffins all week, and Madison is obsessed and now wants them all day, every day! I even add some sprinkles on top because they make her happy, and we can all use small doses of happiness these days.
My bananas were so ripe they were black, which makes them sweet enough that you don’t even need to add sugar. But if you want to add some, one teaspoon is more than enough. I tried them with and without oil, and both worked out great, so I am skipping the oil. Of course, if you want to add it, you certainly can. Just mix in olive oil or coconut oil in with the bananas.
So far, I have tested them plain and with peanut butter, chocolate chips and nuts. I’d love to see what variations you come up with. Leave your comments below!
- Make sure you use a microwave safe mug.
- Cook times may vary with each microwave, you may need to add 30 seconds depending. Play around with it.
- If your mug cake is not rising, make sure your baking powder is not expired.
- I used an espresso mug which was the perfect size for a half banana. A ramekin would also work.
- To use a whole banana double the recipe and use a larger coffee mug.
- For an espresso-size mug this took 90 seconds in my microwave. If you make double, increase the time to about 2 minutes.
- You will know when it’s done when the center is no longer wet.
- Oven Directions: If you don’t have a microwave, you can bake this in a preheated oven in a ramekin of cupcake liner. Bake until the tops are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 325F for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Air Fryer Directions: If you want to bake this in the air fryer, preheat the air fryer to 300°F. Bake until the tops are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Let cool before eating.
PREP TIME:15 minsCOOK TIME:5 minsTOTAL TIME:20 minsYIELD:1 SERVINGCOURSE:Breakfast, SnackCUISINE:AmericanThis easy Banana Bread Muffin in a Mug recipe is perfect when you want a quick breakfast for one in minutes! A great way to use up those brown bananas!
- 1/2 very ripe banana
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, or gluten-free flour mix
- 1 teaspoon sugar, optional but not needed
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp oil of your choice, optional but not needed
Optional add ins:
- mini chocolate chips, sprinkles, chopped walnuts, chopped pecans, hemp seeds, etc, (extra points)
- Mash the banana in a small bowl and mix in oil and vanilla extract.
- Put the flour, sugar (if using), baking powder and salt in a small espresso mug. Blend thoroughly with a fork.
- Add the mashed bananas, mix in any additional mix-ins like chocolate chips, nuts, etc.
- Microwave 90 seconds then let it cool about 1 minute before eating. If making a double batch in a large mug, cook 2 minutes.
Oven: If you don’t have a microwave, you can bake this in a preheated oven in a ramekin of cupcake liner. Bake until the tops are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 325F for 25 to 30 minutes.Air Fryer: If you want to bake this in the air fryer, preheat the air fryer to 300°F. Bake until the tops are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Let cool before eating.See trouble shooting notes above!Serving: 1small mug, Calories: 108kcal, Carbohydrates: 25.5g, Protein: 2g, Fat: 0.5g, Saturated Fat: 0.1g, Sodium: 123mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 7gBlue Smart Points:2Green Smart Points:2Purple Smart Points:2KEYWORDS:5 ingredient muffin, banana bread muffins, easy banana bread muffin, microwave banana muffins, mug cakes