It’s amazing because it’s quick, tasty and very keto. You can’t go wrong with 0.7g carbs per slice! It tastes, smells and feels authentic too. UPDATED RECIPE!!!!Ingredients
- 3 large eggs (approx 160g)
- 120g full fat cream cheese
- 50g whey protein isolate (U.S. option HERE
- 25g fine psyllium husk powder (U.S. option HERE)
- ⅛ tsp fine Himalayan pink salt (U.S. option HERE)
- 2 tsp baking powder (sifted)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (U.S. option HERE)
- (optional) a sprinkle of coconut flour (U.S. option HERE)
- a little coconut oil (U.S. option HERE)
- pre-heat oven to 140ºC fan (160ºC static).
- pile dry ingredients into a bowl and whisk until well blended, with NO lumps.
- in a separate bowl, soften cream cheese using a hand whisk and add eggs one at a time, whisking in between each.
- combine dry and wet ingredients, whisking again to amalgamate really well, and finally, incorporate the ACV.
- let the mixture rest for a couple of minutes, until it thickens and becomes quite gooey (add a little more psyllium if too runny – it should stick to your spoon, rather than slide off it)
- smear a little coconut oil over the base and sides of a loaf tin (20cm x 11cm x 7cm height / 17cm x 8cm at the base), then pour the mixture and level it.
- bake for 35-40 minutes, until brown on top and an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- allow the loaf to cool, then dust with coconut flour to mimic the farmhouse look (optional).
NotesIt is imperative that you sift the baking powder and whisk the dry ingredients until no little lumps are visible.
Once the loaf is completely cool, you can transfer it to a sealed plastic container and it will keep for 3-4 days at room temperature.
Re-heating isn’t necessary, as the loaf tastes and feels like ordinary sandwich bread, but toasting makes it exceptional.
To avoid stodgy bread that has a purple tinge and smells odd, choose psyllium husk powder that is very fine and light in colour (sometimes called ‘blonde’ psyllium’). As psyllium is a natural, unadulterated product, batches can differ and give variable results.